Sunday, July 17, 2016

Afternoon Tea at the Skylounge, Hilton Tower of London


Before I went away to get married and go on honeymoon, my colleagues surprised me with a lovely send-off by arranging a surprise afternoon tea at the Skylounge, the rooftop bar at the Doubletree Tower of London hotel. There’s seating both inside and out, with a great view over London from the 12th floor of the hotel. It’s open for lunch or dinner or drinks in the evening (when there is sometimes a DJ), or you can have afternoon tea.
 
 
We had the champagne afternoon tea (£40, or £30 without champagne); I was expecting something quite traditional so was pleasantly surprised at a first course of sliders (mini burgers); everyone was served one each before the three-tier cake stand arrived.

 

The sandwiches were a mixture of sliced bread and mini rolls, with coronation chicken, cucumber and cream cheese, egg and watercress, poached salmon and horseradish.

 
 
The scones were nice and we had a debate about whether you should put jam or cream on first. But as I don't eat jam I just have the cream!

 

 
 The desserts were surprisingly large - the treacle tart was a proper slice, not a bite-sized morsel, and it was really good. There was a lovely light mousse - in a choice of two flavours - with a mini meringue on top, and a square of carrot cake, which I wasn't going to try because I felt I couldn't possibly eat any more, but was persuaded and was very glad I did!


This is not the best afternoon tea in London but it is very nice and the view is lovely - so I'd definitely recommend it for a summer's afternoon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment